Modern 3-Man Weave: Ball Reversals
This is another modern take on the classic 3-Man Weave that uses "Ball Reversals" to confuse the defense, almost like a hand-off pass in basketball.
The 3-Man Weave is a classic in several sports for a reason. It keeps your players moving while working on passing and catching without letting them stand still.
Ball reversals are just like a "Hand Off" pass in basketball. Carry the ball and draw the Defense to one direction, then give a little flip pass to the guy next to you, and he goes back the other way. The faster you can do this, the harder it will be for the Defense to keep up.
Loyola was using these a lot in 2012 when they won the National Championship. We saw other college teams running them in 2013, and now we see high school teams using Ball Reversals sometimes.
Imitate game situations! Ball Reversals work best when the man without the ball goes outside the man with the ball. The flip pass is made on the outside of the body, away from the Defenders' sticks, and so the new man with the ball has a clear path back to the middle.
HERE'S THE DRILL:
Figure 1.) Start your players in three lines 10-15 yards apart at one end of the field. Start with balls in the middle line.
You can have your players run goal line to goal line, full field, or whatever space you have available.
- Make sure your players understand the Ball Reversal. Walk through a basic Ball Reversal scenario with offense and defense before you start this version of the 3-Man Weave so your players know what they are doing and why.
- Time Your Drills for your players' age and attention span. Move on to something else once a drill or game becomes unproductive.
RELATED PRACTICE DRILLS:
- Triangle Passing Drills: Use these classic passing drills that every coach should know to develop muscle memory and coordination for catching and throwing with both sides.
- 3-Man Weave- Pick & Roll: This is another modern variation of the classic 3-Man Weave the teaches your players to set and use picks while they practice catching and throwing!
- 2-Line Passing Drill- Flip, Pass, Pass: This is another simple passing drill that uses two lines of players to practice Ball Reversals while your players move down field.
Let us know if your players start using Ball Reversals effectively after using this version of the 3-Man Weave!